Re: Piston question

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston question
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:15:51 +1300
I cant help with the number -

 however the letter stamped on the piston and block indicates the size grade
of the original cylinder bore.  If the letters on the bore and piston match,
and the bore is still standard, then it is a fair bet that the original
pistons are still there.

It is not possible to bore a cylinder exactly to size ( even now days,
although tolerances are a lot tighter) With the B series engines, the
cylinders were bored, they were then measured and marked with a letter to
indicate the departure from the standard bore.

Similarly pistons were measured after final finishing and graded the same
way.

When is came to assembly, all the assembler had to do was to match the
letters.The letters are usually stamped inside a diamond.

I am not sure what the size difference is between grades on a B series
engine, but on a EPAG engine as fitted to a (real) TF, the size grades were
std , +0.0005", +0.001", and +0.0015"

Ian F