Re: 67 gauges

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 67 gauges
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 19:49:07 -0800
on 12/9/02 6:00 PM, Don Malling at dmallin@attglobal.net wrote:

> List,
>
> I plan to install a metal dash in my 68-74 BMH Body Shell, and am
> looking for a good 62-67 MKI metal dash, Gauges, and steering column. If
> anyone has any, please let me know.
>
> I'm watching eBay for the parts as well, but am not always sure which
> Gauges will work. For example, there is a nice looking fuel gauge listed
> as coming from a 62 or 63, but I'm not sure whether it will fit.
>
> I think that all the metal dashes from 62-67 took the same size gauges,
> but I'm not sure if there are other differences. Does anyone know
> how/where I can get some documentation on which gauges (gauge numbers)
> will work for me. If nothing else, could someone send me a list of their
> gauge numbers from a 62-67?

I'm sure all the gauges are the same size 62-67. They did make various
changes, some of them probably irrelevant for your purpose (like changing
the name from Jaeger to Smiths or vice versa). The fine print in Clausager
should cover most of it.

I can look at my 66 gauges in the morning.

> One question would be the tach -- according to Moss there are both
> electrical and mechanical tachs for 62-67. Would a 62-67 electrical tach
> work with a 68-71 distributor?

Mechanical tach is for the 3-main engine. You would want a negative ground
electrical tach, which limits you to 67, I think. Or you can have an earlier
one converted. Another issue will be the speedometer calibration -- you will
have a combination that didn't exist in nature (so to speak) -- a large
early tach with a 4-synchro tranny. There are lists of the various speedo
types online; one is on the MGB Experience pages.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149