JB Weld on a gas tank

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: JB Weld on a gas tank
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:33:39 -0600
Pulled the fuel tank the other day, and finally got around to wire
brushing it tonight.  Apparently, the PO lived on a dirt road and
knocked holes in his/her tank, because there are at least four places
where a JB Weld type putty was used on it.  If the FBI ever wanted to
trace my car, they would have no problems because I have the PO's
fingerprints permanently implanted into the putty! :)

On a similar note, on one side of the tank the seam is open.  It seems
that the only thing keeping the seam closed (and gas in the tank) was
the pressure of the bolts holding the seam closed and the tank up.  Or
is this some sort of weird venting mechanism and I have an unoriginal
tank for a '68?  Regardless, chalk up one more item I'll have to buy.
The list keeps growing! :)

FWIW, I'm not knocking that putty stuff either.  Comes in very handy
for quick temporary fixes in many situations.

Kevin