RE: DCOEs and misfiring (long)

To: "'Tim Baxter'" <baxter@gretschpages.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: DCOEs and misfiring (long)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:52:34 -0800
Tim:

I'd suggest a thorough cleanup of the carb, and check/replace the main fuel
filter.  It sounds like the float valve is not seating correctly allowing
the float level to be way too high flooding the rear cylinders.  Also make
sure your fuel pressure is not too high.  If you are running the stock SU
fuel pump, this should not be a problem, but if you have some kind of
aftermarket pump, this could be your culprit.  The DCOE likes lots of low
pressure fuel.  3.5-4 lbs maximum fuel pressure.

When cleaning out a DCOE all you really need is a gasket kit, and an inlet
valve.  Don't buy a rebuild kit, these include the float and other bits and
are cubic $.

The carb is very easy to dismantle to where it can be cleaned.  Leave the
throttle spindles in place and just shoot cleaner through the ball bearings.

Don't forget to clean the inlet filter in the carb top cover.  Check the
float chamber for rust and scale.  You may have rust in the fuel tank which
is causing the float valve to not seal, in which case a better filter may be
needed.

For the MGB you can get by with the smaller float valves, but chances are
all you need to do is clean the one that you have.

The DCOE is simple, and pretty bulletproof, so don't give up.

good luck

Kelvin.