RE: driving a target/mgb in Atlanta (was RE: ?High

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: driving a target/mgb in Atlanta (was RE: ?High
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:11:10 -0600
> > Yes, SUV's have a high-center of gravity, which makes them
> more prone to
> > rollovers.  But you know what car has the most rollovers?
> The Corvette,
> > which has a very low center of gravity.
> >
>   Where'd you get this data?  I'd like to review it.

I read it in Car and Driver a few years ago when all the hype was going on
about requiring a 'rollover rating' on vehicles.  I can't recall exactly the
data being compared, but it made the point that driver behavior is one of
the most important factors.  I'm sure you can find the stats in the NHTSA
data.

Obviously, given the same circumstances, a vehicle with a high center of
gravity is more likely to roll.

> > All of the talk about a vehicle being inherently dangerous
> is a nice way to
> > try to avoid personal responsibility for poor driving.
> >
>    Poor driving by whom?   Seems to me that a poor driver has a better
> chance of surviving in a safer car.  Anyway, rollover tests are
> conducted by pro drivers, eh?

Um, I'm confused.  People point to all of these 'safety issues' with SUV's
as a reason they shouldn't exist.  I'm saying that there's nothing
inherently wrong with them, but rather there are lots of poor drivers
piloting them.  Think back to the '70's, when there was great concern that
convertibles would be outlawed in the US.  Or in the '80's when
high-performance sports cars were the vilified in the popular press.