RE: Great Rally Pictures

To: "'Aeseeyou@aol.com'" <Aeseeyou@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Great Rally Pictures
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:49:28 -0800
Albert:

What Telewest said.  Thanks for the link.

The Land Crab was the big 1800cc sidewinder powered front wheel drive family
sedan that was the bread and butter for British Leyland during the 70s.  The
factory did rally them on long distance endurance runs, and it looks like
the car pictured in the earlier photos may have been one of the factory
cars.

My dad had one as a company car, and we used it to pull a 16' travel trailer
all over Europe.  The Austin/Morris 1800 was why the MGB got a 5 main
engine.  The increased block strength and crank support was necessary for
the transverse front wheel drive application.  Normally a single carb.
economy lump, they did put the twin carb. version in the 1800S.

They were never officially imported into the US, but once in a while you
will hear of one that may have sneaked in from Canada.  All in all a good
car for it's time, but had a history of high repair cost which caused it to
be shunned by the big fleet outfits.  Hydroelastic suspension, gobs of room
and a high level of comfort.  Think of it as an Austin America with a
Thyroid problem.

Kelvin.

Albert.  I met your brother the other day, he was checking out my next door
neighbors truck that was for sale.