Re: NON LBC - automatic honda CRX question

To: jhn3@uakron.edu
Subject: Re: NON LBC - automatic honda CRX question
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:34:24 -0800 (PST)
james SEZ -
> list,
> my g/f's car has developed a shifting under load problem, it doesn't like to
> do it.  I couldn't tell you when the last time the ATF was changed but it was
> a LOOOONG time ago.  It was really low and the local parts guy told us to put
> Dexron III in it.  It called for Dexron II, but he said that Dexron III was an
> improved formula and we should use it.

Wow, it's been so long since I've worked on a car with an automatic
I didn't know there was a Dexron III.  There are two types of auto
xmission fluid, Type F for Fords, and Dexron for everything else.
I can't imagine that III wouldn't be backward compatible with II.
But your problem might not be the fluid (if you're lucky...).  An
automatic "knows" when to downshift in a couple different ways.
Usually there's a lever attached to the carburator linkage (yeah,
I'm dating myself here) that lets it know when you punch the gas.
Also a vacuum line can tell it the same thing.  Sometimes the
vacuum like gets blocked or the rubber diaphragm on the "switch"
inside the transmission develops a leak.  I know zero about the
engineering of Japanese cars, except that they've always struck
me as a little eccentric, so YMMV.  Hope this helps.

--
David Breneman                   | "Before there were CDs there were
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |  records, and before there were