Drive report

To: MGs@autox.team.net, hans@hi-flow.com, capthiland@aol.com,
Subject: Drive report
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:35:41 -0800
I went to double check the calibration of my click type torque
wrenches. I realized that I couldn't securly mount the beam type, but
that I could securly mount the click type. The handle of the beam type
flips back and forth and this is likely to get the torque applied at
one particular spot.

So my procedure was to set the click type torque wrench at 50 ft-lbs,
mount it in a vice and to watch the reading on the beam type when the
wrench clicked.  Both torque wrenches when set at 50 clicked when the
beam type read 48. I suspect that my half-assed calibration done late
at night with the beam type in the vice, was simply erroneious, since
this time both click types were not close to the beam types reading,
but also off by the same amount (4%).

On my first drive, from Felton to Scotts Valley, I did get some
pinging going uphill, on hard acceleration, around 3000 RPM. I backed
the timing off a few degrees from what we had set on the dyno, tested
it again and didn't hear any pinging. The engine was still a bit
cold, however.

Once it warmed up, driving over hwy 17, I got some very light pinging,
pulling through the low 3000s, on an uphill.  This is the range where
the needle leans out a bit.  Applying the choke didn't help, but I
suspect that the cylinder was already hot and the extra cooling
wouldn't do much good.  I wish I knew where on the needle this
translated to so I could accurately recurve (sand) the needle in that
region.

I'll back the timing off another few degrees, see if that helps and
run race gas when I take it to the track next week. On the drive up,
it seemed to be getting much better gas mileage than it had been, but
by the time I got home last night (it's about 90 miles each way) the
overall fuel consumption looked like it was back to what it had been.

I've noticed that the fuel guage will often read different values, at
times close to each other, even when traveling on the flat and
level. I suspect that there is not (working) voltage stabalizer
feeding the signal. Sometime soon, I may have to track down some sort
of voltage regulater (I think that a National LM336 is the 12V
regulator) and use that for feeding the instruments.

So, Jasmine is running, again. She seems to be running very well. If
she continues to behave herself, I plan to take her to
Infin_SearsPoint_eon next weekend and give her a chance to stretch her
legs:  http://www.nasaproracing.com

   Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.