1 wire alternator

To: "Mg list \(E-mail\)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1 wire alternator
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:44:06 -0500
Rick-

The reason it is called a 1 wire alternator is that there is only 1 wire to
connect. It takes 1 large wire, #10 as a minimum, from your starter
solenoid, the post that has the battery cable connection, to the single
terminal on the rear of the alternator.

If you are retaining the Jag harness, & if the Jag follows the normal
British wiring scheme, any LARGE brown wires- there may be 2- should be
joined at the single terminal on the alternator, and any small wires should
be taped off. You will no longer have an ignition warning light that
functions. This is the only downside I know of in using a 1 wire alternator.
I always add a volt meter- NOT an amp meter- to any car with a 1 wire.

If you wish to open up the Jag harness, you will be able to eliminate 1 of
the large brown wires, and any smaller wires, some of which just loop inside
the harness from 1 of the original alternator terminals to another.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>