Re: Reading O2 sensors - oh oh !

To: "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Reading O2 sensors - oh oh !
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:18:55 -0500
Well Larry....  you probably won't like this answer.

the O2 sensor you are 'trying' to use... is as you suspect...
useless for tuning.  O2 sensors are simply an on/off device.
The duty cycle of the squarewave they output (turning on and off)
will give you a variation of the 'average' voltage of the sensor
This 'average' voltage centers around 0.5VDC . These type of
O2 sensors are only designed to let the computer know the engine
is rich or lean NOT the absolute F/A ratio. They are also limited
to only around 13-16 A/F.    (stoic=14.7)
It sounds like your gauge at least, is filtered. Otherwise you'd see
the 'bouncing' voltage as it turns on and off.

If you need an O2 gauge to tune with...(like I did for my Weber dcoe
and FI projects... you'll need a full 'wide band' O2 gauge.  These
are true F/A reading setups and range from 10-25 A/F (25=free air)

Most 'professional' or 'off-the-shelf' WBO2 meters will run you
$700-$1800  Ouch!
BUT... you can do as I did... build your own..or buy the unit
pre-built. Check out http://www.techedge.com.au/
(the unit I bought and use)
as well as http://www.diy-wb.com/  where it all started.

If nothing else...the two links above will give you a good insight
into tuning via A/F.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com