Re: Dzus Fastener - Removal

Subject: Re: Dzus Fastener - Removal
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:12:51 -0600
At 09:06 AM 2/18/03 +0200, Ross Bateman wrote:
>I want to get the battery access panel on my 68 MGB powder coated.
>My question is how do you remover the Dzus Fasteners from the panel?

You just press it out and destroy the retaining washer.  For reassembly put
the stud in place and press on a new retaining washer.  About 15 years ago
I replaced the ones in my MGA with bail handle type.  Now just lift the
wire loop and twist, no tools required, really handy.

Tech data here: http://www.dzus.co.uk/pdfs/d12/dzus_standard&panellines.pdf
You need to know the diameter and the reach length to select the proper
parts.  For installation of the metal retaining washer you only need a flat
end tube with a close fitting ID for a punch.  A nylon retaining washer you
could install with fingers or a couple of flat blade screwdrivers.  Last
time I checked (several years ago) there was a stocking distributor a few
miles from my home in Downers Grove, IL, but some significant minimum order.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com