The 'Bs and 'Cs design (was Re: Requesting Opinions for MG

To: james <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The 'Bs and 'Cs design (was Re: Requesting Opinions for MG
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:42:41 -0600
james wrote:
> I don't have any accurate numbers, but as I understand it, by the time they
> got the engine fitted in the C they gave up a lot of the power that it made
> in the Healeys, and yes, the thing is a boat anchor.  If you've ever tried
> to work with one, hoist or not, it is a back breaking experience.

Only looked at a couple.

> Although it all happened before I was born, I think the failure of the V8
> was two fold.  I have often read that the supply to MG was cut off by Rover
> during the launch of the SD1 as they wanted the engine volume for their own
> production.  Secondly, as rated by the factory, it made ~150BHP ( vs ~100)
> at twice the price of the B, and wouldn't have been viable even if it had
> gone into widespread production.  I have read some reviews from the time and
> people were starting to call the B dated by the mid '70s so I expect it
> would have taken a large influx of cash to redo the interior and probably
> update the body a bit, but BL was never known for even medium influxs of
> cash.

It was quite dated. I didn't like many of the styling studies they did
in that time though. I hate the look of the Aston Martin MGB.

BMC didn't do much influx either, but BL did about 0 perfering to spend
the limited amount they had on Triumph. And we know how well that worked
out.

> It's nice to dream though.  I always wonder what would have happened if the
> MGB had gone into production with IRS.  The first prototype had IRS, but
> they couldn't keep the panhard rod from tearing out of the floor, so they
> scrapped it and redesigned most of the trunk in the process.  In this
> prototype, the spare sat vertically in the trunk, and left a lot more room
> for luggage, but I guess we'll never know.

I thought that the IRS was scraped for economics. The rear end was off
the shelf where as the IRS would be new parts. Can't remember which book
I read that in.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155