Anti reversion flappers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Anti reversion flappers
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:32:56 -0800
One side effect, for me anyways, of doing lots of modification and
tuning on a car is that I get ideas that I can't tell whether they are
brilliant, stupid, or just plain weird.

I was reading about porting heads a while back and they mentioned that
you don't want to port the exhaust larger than the hole of the gasket,
because the lip inside the header helps prevent reversion,
i.e. exhuast gasses being sucked back into the cylinder.

Having the exhaust gasses only travel in one direction, was also
important on pulse jets, hence the flapper valve on the inlet, which
keeps the exhaust from blowing back, at least until such a velocity is
achieved that it starts working as a ram jet.

Does anyone on this list (these lists) know of any work where someone
installed passive flapper valves at the entrance to a header, such
that exhaust gasses coming out of the motor would easily blow them
open, but any gasses trying to blow back into the motor would close
the valve, preventing further reversion.

If these have been tried, did they do any good?

   Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.