Re: Interesting item...comments anyone?

To: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Subject: Re: Interesting item...comments anyone?
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:48:30 US/Mountain
This is pobably a bigger issue than one would think.  The early MGB's had
the same type of axle as the MGA - known as a "banjo" axle.  When the GT
came out, and for sure somewhere in 1967 production - MG changed axles
from the 'banjo' to a "salisbury."  On the banjo axle, it is very easy to
change out the "pumpkin" (ring, pinion, and housing), while on the
salisbury it isn't as straight forward.  The salisbury is stronger, and
quieter, so most people want to keep it, but I don't think higher gearing
is available for them.  In fact, I have changed my MGA pumpkin out, and
put in an MGB pumpkin so I get better drivability - the acceleration isn't
as good, but I'm not autocrossing it anymore anyhow.  I sold my old MGA
gears to Larry Hoy, and I believe he was making a LSD rear axle with them.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA with MGB 3.909 pumpkin
'67 MGB with salisbury 3.909 axle and overdrive