VARA racing with a Midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: VARA racing with a Midget
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:01:34 EST
Listers,

I just wanted to touch base with anyone who has experience or knowledge of
racing MGs in VARA

My friend has acquired an early 70's Midget and has invited me to campaign it
with him, sharing race and wrench time.  We have already stripped out the
interior, glass, dash, heater, and most light fixtures, and have been trying
to find a fire suppression system, seat, racing harness and fuel cell.  We
are going to start making the roll cage pretty soon as well.  We are not
planning on touching the engine or transmission (at least not until we get
some time in the car), and will start improving the suspension and brakes
only after we have some race experience under our belts as the stock systems
seem adequate after freshening.

We are not interested in wining races, or even points, we just want to have
fun, and better our driving ability and knowledge of racing (though I'm sure
improving our standings will become more important over time).

As you can tell, this is a low budget endeavor.  My questions include: Where
is the best place to look for/purchase the fire suppression system, fuel
cell, seat, harness, and racing suits?  How much does the VARA driver's
certification cost?  The VARA site just says rookies must attend three
weekends of VARA driving school and submit a medical examination.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Steve Sanchez
1977 MGB
1971 Midget co-driver ;~)