Re: brake caliper bolts

To: james <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Subject: Re: brake caliper bolts
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:26:53 -0800
On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 02:53:56AM -0500, james wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you removing the caliper to change
> the pads?  Normally you change them by removing the two large cotter pins
> and spring clips on the back, takes about 2 minutes.

D'oh! Brain Phartte. I still haven't caught up on my sleep after last
weekend. I had to pull the calipers to reshim and repack the bearings
and trashed the locktabs in the process. I also need to change from
the Porterfield LD48-R4 (race compound) to the R4S (street compound)
pads and my poor tired brain was cojoining those two tasks into one. I
think that I was confusing them with my old Honda brakes where you'd
pull one bolt and the whole assembly would twist off.

That does remind me that I need to get cotter pins too.

> If I am in fact missing something Pegasus sells the jig for drilling at
> home, including the bits, the twisting pliers, and their new catalog has a
> description of how to do it right.  I'd guess that it is in Screw to Win but
> I haven't read it.

  lrc

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.