Re: Just got my 'new' 1972 MGB

To: "Gudz, Roman (EM, PTL)" <Roman.Gudz@penske.com>
Subject: Re: Just got my 'new' 1972 MGB
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:54:18 -0600
Gudz, Roman (EM, PTL) wrote:
> Yesterday, I finally got my 1972 MGB that I bought on eBay (can't believe I
> did that).

Congratulations.

> The odometer says 52K miles and does appear to work.

That's good.

> Below are some initial findings, just looking for some direction:
>
> 1) Car starts fine and seems to run OK, although it seems to idle pretty
> fast (about 1300 RPM).  Is that a problem?

Tune up the carbs. Do a compression check.

> 2) There are a few quarter sized holes in the drivers floor pan,  should I
> patch them or should it be replaced?  The passenger's looks OK.

You can probably just patch. How are the sills?

> 3) The fuel gauge always shows empty.

Probably the fuel sender. Test the gauge first. My '72s didn't work
either. It was the sender unit. Being in college, I never fixed that. As
long as the trip odometer works.

> 4) The wipers wipe at about 1 MPH.

That's not good.

> 5) The car has only one battery and I can see the driveway.  Is that normal
> or should this area be enclosed?

That's a common conversion. And no, it's not enclosed. There are plastic
liners that you can put in and have a little cargo space down there.

> 6) The hose going to the bottom of the absorption cannister is missing, is
> this important?

Hmm, I think that goes to the fuel cutoff valve, so it could be important.

> 7) I have no idea if any modifications were made for unleaded fuel.  Is it
> OK to not worry about it and just put in premium gas?   All I can find is 93
> octane.

You shouldn't have to worry. 93 is probably overkill. But do a
compression test, that will tell you about internal wear.

> Thanks.
>

> Roman
>
> 72 MGB

Paul
77B

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155