Re: NAMGBR and New Paint

To: Eric.Plunk@allegiancetelecom.com
Subject: Re: NAMGBR and New Paint
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:05:39 -0500
Hi Eric,
  NAMBGR is a good group. They are all volunteers, so first issue may
take an indeterminate amount of time to reach you. Thereafter, though,
they arrive regularly.
   Painting question--that's a tough one .Everyone has his own comfort
level.  I had an MGB painted as a rolling shell. I removed seats, door
liners, exterior door pulls, all the chrome bits, the side strips,
bumpers, carpets, the switches in the door jambs, the door latch
mechanisms, the window  glass and winder machinery,    mostly everything
but the windshield, dash and steering wheel.  Sat on a milk crate to
drive it to the shop.  It was a small town and the cops graciously agreed
to check out something at the other end of town.   I regretted not having
removed windshield and, somehow, that washer squirter that I never have
been able to figure out.  Your time to remove and replace is all labor
time---you sure don't want to hire someone to do this.  Each piece has
little tiny nuts and bolts involved. That little strip that lines the top
edge of the luggage area must have ten bolts in it.  Each side strip has
two special bolts & nuts plus several snap buttons.  We marvel today at
how much hand assembly work was put into these cars.
   The more you remove, the more the job looks as though MG did it. On
the other hand, each time you remove a bit of rubber, you will want to
replace it with new, and the more time you spend on the job. On the other
hand again, the more you remove, the faster and easier it is for the
painter.  I had the painter use Centauri. It's OK. Not the greatest, but
it's easy to repair if you get a stone ding.   Others prefer two part
paints, or some advanced single part paints.
   Tell the group what color you are thinking of and you may get better
answers to this paint question and the cost of the job.
Bob
'72 GT