Re: Anyone want to own a Lamborghini for $7900?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone want to own a Lamborghini for $7900?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:05:47 -0800
I don't think I've heard that before. It scarcely seems likely as a diesel
engine. However, it was used (in normal gasoline form) in a small utility
vehicle called the Sherpa in the UK and elsewhere (not the US). That's
probably what you are thinking of.

The "Triumph" engine was known as a "Standard" (the name of the parent
company), so you won't actually see the Triumph nameplate in any tractors,
more's the pity -- they'd have a real hard time living that down <g>.

Kidding aside, the TR models were more powerful than the equivalent MGs for
the entire life of the line, so we can't really afford to give them too much
grief. There was nothing particularly glorious about the origins of the
mundane Austin sedan engines, either; unlike the good old pre-war days when
MGs traditionally sported sophisticated OHC motors of their own design.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149