New Motor Questions and HS4 vs HIF

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Motor Questions and HS4 vs HIF
From: Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS <Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:36:14 -0500
Hello List,

Sorry I haven't chimed in much the past few months, but I've finally
finished my 'B engine/tranny install, thanks in large part to some great
advice received from right here. It was all straight-forward, except I
learned a lesson about not leaving the dizzy loose after it fires the first
time. Seems it was loose enough to vibrate to the severely retarded
position, whereupon yes, you guessed it, I noticed the header beginning to
glow. Not good. Shut it down, checked it all over, re-positioned it, then
monitored it while someone else started it. All is well. A couple
questions/comments though.

First, the "OEM" o-ring valve stem seals aren't worth hooey. When I went
back in to retorque and adjust valves, two of them had split and were found
sitting on top of the head, while another one is wedged between its valve
guide and the spring. Can't see all the rest, but first chance I get they're
coming outta there and the FelPro umbrella seals are going in, if I can find
them (supposedly FelPro #SS 70373).

Next, no offense meant to Moss, Kelvin, but that aluminum replacement
thermostat elbow doesn't work either. Its stud holes are too large, coolant
finds its way out of them, and while messing with mine, it just gave up and
cracked. Back to plan A of cutting/grinding the air pump tab off my
original, which seals like a champ.

Lastly, what's "normal" blow-by on a fresh motor? I've got small amounts of
oil seaping out of the dipstick tube and some in the air cleaner housing.
I've read lots of posts here and on the MGOC BBS archive about using less
premium oil for break-in, and how to run it in to ensure the rings seat. In
the meantime I guess some oil loss is to be expected (and baseline
compression test to follow). All in all, I'm pretty happy and the overdrive
worked as advertised on the first test drive last night-- yeah!

One more question: any opinions on later ('69-71) HS4 SU's vs HIFs? My car's
a '72 18V set up with a Weber DGV. While it's dead-nuts reliable, I'd sorta
like to go back to SU's. My old HIFs are in a box someplace, but I'm
thinking of HS4's instead (more tunable?).

Happy MG'ing...

Larry Ruggiero
Warner Robins, GA