Re: Xeno's Garage

To: james <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Subject: Re: Xeno's Garage
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:33:15 -0800
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:09:24AM -0500, james wrote:
> One thing that I have learned after building my V8, is that everytime I look
> at it I just want to tear the whole thing apart and do it over.  It isn't
> that I did it poorly but I have so much more insight now into building cars
> that I have enough great ideas to do the car at least 3 more times.
> Sometimes I forget that I have a car 99% done; the nagging little bits that
> aren't sorted sometimes make me forget all of that.

Yeah, I feel that at this point, if I were to start all over, with a
fresh MGBGT, I could do a half decent job of building what I
theoretically have. When we go and hotrod a production car, what we
are doing is basically competing with guys who went to school for four
or more years to learn automotive engineering, then have umpteen years
of experience on the job and the resources of GM, or at least BL
behind them.

The other thing, is seeing the forest for the trees. A few years ago I
tore out the carpet in my living room, sanded and restained the wood,
and urethaned it. When I was done, I was horribly depressed about the
job. There were runs in the urethane, gouges in the wood, I felt that
I had put in months of work to end up with a totally botched job. Then
for the next year and a half, anytime someone showed up at my house
they were practically agog at the floor and commented on how wonderful
it looked.

Even so, there are certainly times that if someone were to offer me
anything close to a fair price for my car, I'd sell it, just because I
realize that no matter how good it is, it'll never be as good as I
want it to be. Oh well, I just need to figure out how to come up with
about two weeks of free time between now and Thursday to get it ready
for the track next weekend.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.