Re: Unmounting door? (stupid screws)

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: Re: Unmounting door? (stupid screws)
From: "Hugh Wolfe" <hugh_wolfe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:14:09 -0800
Here is another thought on your predicament.  Being an aircraft mechanic,
and constantly faced with fasteners that "refuse" to budge, and located
where a normal tools just will not go.  We used a rivet gun armed with a
long attachment (having a perpendicular handle on it for applying torque)
that accepted bits matching whatever you were removing.  We sometimes had to
have some imagination here.  With this arrangement you can simultaneously
apply torque via the handle and controlled hammer action to the fastener.
The idea was to break the corrosion, paint or whatever was holding the
fastener solidly in place.  It might take some looking around to locate this
tool, but you will use it over and over again.

Hugh