Pesky Leak

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pesky Leak
From: Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS <Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:03:49 -0500
Okay, I've got a new one for you guys (searched the archives and couldn't
come up with something similar). Replaced all my brake/clutch hydraulics a
couple years ago on my '72 roadster and ever since then the clutch master
cylinder's plastic cap p*sses fluid out around the top, no matter what state
of fill it's in. Tried an o-ring inside the cap, no good. Thought maybe it
wasn't vented properly since it appears to leak from underneath its threads,
so took a tiny drill bit and made a hole through just the top layer (inside
layer already has a "vent" hole). Same result. It's been doing this since
new and is beginning to really aggravate me. Defective cap maybe?

One hint I might pass on: if your distributor seemingly won't clamp tight
after you've adjusted timing, check to ensure it's fully seated. If it
isn't, it'll just flop around no matter how much you keep wrenching to
tighten that clamp. The clamping surface on the dizzy body (25D, in my case)
is only maybe 3/16ths inch wide, so it's not too hard for it to pop up
beyond the clamp if you've been twisting it about.

Larry Ruggiero
Warner Robins, GA