Re: what car was it?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what car was it?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:16:00 EDT
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The (Fiat 124) Spider was mostly eye candy.  Wood front dash, bulgy hood,
> useless
> back seat.  The 5-speed was nice, but it had synchro problems ALOT.  I
> changed out a tranny without 2nd gear for a "good used one" that I
> unfortunately found lacked 3rd gear.  Really not that quick either.

Like all Italian cars, the rust-proofing in the early years was rudimentary,
and most rusted away in a few years. I was just talking to another owner of
an early Lambo like I have who told me that when they had to remove part of a
fender, they found that the underside wasn't even primered!

The smaller engined 124 wasn't all that fast, but the larger, up to 2000 cc
engines popelled them along quite well. The 5 speed and 4 wheel discs were
ahead of the pack, and the soft top (not exported as long to the States as to
Canada) was about the best out there - a one handed exercise that would make
anyone that has owned an MGA or an MGB with removable top laugh (or cry).

> The X1/9 was zippy.  I used to always get traffic light noise from the
> Fiero clowns; they had nothing!  Top end though, like the Spider,
> wasn't the greatest and the TR7 wedge look gets old quickly.

The X1/9 was much slower than the 124 - it just seemed quick because it's
agility made up for the lack of poop in the 128 motor they used. It handled
very well, one of the earliest mid-engined cars available (I like mid-engines
- part of the attraction of my Fiero daily driver). The most interesting
X1/9s were the ones that people shoehorned a 124 engine into.....

Bill