Re: Carburetors for MGB

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carburetors for MGB
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:28:47 -0500
Paul Root wrote:

> Dennis Luther wrote:
> > Does anyone know if MGB's were ever supplied stock with a Weber carb?  I
> > know... I doubt it, but wanted to know for sure. I'm surprised how many
> > "car's for sale" have them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dennis Luther
> > '77 B w/ Z-S
>
> No they didn't. The works race cars always ran DCOEs but those were
> not sold to the public.
>
> It's a popular changeout (I won't say upgrade, webers aren't well
> thought of on this list), as they are/were more understood than the
> SU. Especially, when people didn't check the throttle shafts for
> wear when rebuilding and couldn't figure out why the rebuild kit
> "didn't work".
>
> The DGV is not a performance carb. But apparently can be made to
> run quite well with proper tuning and jet swaps. No one, of course,
> can say what jets you want to run.
>
> I recall a person on the list, from Mexico or South America that had
> his tuned by a weber expert last summer, and the difference was night
> and day. The jets aren't appropriate for most weber users however,
> because of the altitude he lived.
>
> Still, the DGV is better than a ZS. And can be CARB legal (in
> California) for 74 and older cars. A friend of mine in SD has
> one, though it's in storage.

Paul (or anybody else), can you tell me anything about the carb setup here:

http://www.theluggage.net/EBAY/CARB.jpg

It's for MGB, but I don't know much more than that. This setup will
definitely not work with my Victor TF, since there's not enough room under
the bonnet for them; I may try to sell them on eBay.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Rickey Preston Band (w/Rocky): http://www.rickeyprestonband.com