Brits at the Bridge

To: "Cheeseman-Meyer, Jason" <Jason.Cheeseman-Meyer@NAU.EDU>,
Subject: Brits at the Bridge
From: "Bill & Penny" <wcameyer@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:57:29 -0700
Last week, I installed a 13" steering wheel in my '72GT (bear with me, this
will show its relevance later).  I don't like small wheels, but the standard
unit was rubbing my right leg.
Friday, my wife, Penny, and I met Harry and Della Rowin at 12:30 PM, and
together we departed Prescott,AZ, headed north on rte 89.  As we left town, I
noticed the light by the rear hatch was on, so I reached back and turned it
off.  At Ash Fork, we picked up I-40 headed west.  Shortly, we turned onto
Route 66.  I tried to charge my cell phone using the cigarette lighter socket,
but it was dead.  In Seligman, I discovered number four fuse blown, so I
pulled the bulb out of the light over the rear hatch and replaced the fuse.
Electrical problem solved.  We had refreshments at Delgado's famous soda
parlour in Seligman, then stopped to fuel in Kingman.  At Kingman, we picked
up I-40 again.
About 10 miles after Kingman, I noticed the temperature gauge was all the way
over to the hot mark.  With the 13" wheel, your right hand at the 2 o'clock
position completely obscures the temperature gauge in the '72 dash (told you
it'd prove relevant!).  Discovered the heater core had blown.  I took out my
trusty Leatherman, and utilizing my 1/2" "road draft tube" hose which had been
attached to the valve cover vent, I bypassed the heater.  The problem now was
we had only about a liter and a half of water!  A Highway Patrol cruiser
showed up - he said, no, he carried no water!  Well, we put what we had in the
radiator, which did not even show!  The patrolman said wait a minute, he was
canine patrol and had water for his dog!  We used most of the dog's gallon of
water, thanked the patrolman and especially the dog, and got back on the road.
We arrived in Lake Havasu City at 5:30, registered, attended the cocktail
party, rested, and had dinner.
Saturday morning, we helped run a funkhana which everyone enjoyed - some
became really competent on the balance beam, which was won by John Snider and
Jim Anton.  In the afternoon, there was a poker run to Oatman,AZ, which was
enjoyed by all.  Personally, I spent the time reading, walking, and helping
Jim Anton with a brake problem - Jim and I go way back with brake problems
during car events!
Saturday evening we attended a cocktail party at the Anton's suite with the
Sniders and Condons.  Saturday night's banquet/awards ceremony was a real
treat - I received a gallon of cherry scented hand cleaner in honor of my
adventures on the trip in.  It was announced that the event would be held
again in 2005, with increased attendance assured from the Southern California
and Bakersfield groups.
Early Sunday morning, we journeyed to the riverside quay under London Bridge
for portraits of our "babies".   I managed to finnd time to purchase and
install a can of water pump lube.
After a well-run car show, we were off back to Prescott.  On the way out of
town, I noticed the temperature gauge was not registering - I am learning to
move my hands and pay more attention to it!  Out came the trusty Leatherman
again and the temperature sensor line was re-attached.
After a good hamburger at a 50's diner on Route 66 (all pink and turquoise),
we reached home shortly after 5 PM, after 440 miles at 29.7 mpg.  Our thanks
go to the people responsible for this incredible weekend - Karen and Rich
Timian, ably assisted by Gil Schaulin and the members of the Arizona MG Club.