Spirited Driving (was re: balance)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spirited Driving (was re: balance)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:30:22 +1030
Larry Colen wrote:

> > Why would he be black flagging you?  Unsportsmanlike conduct?  Were you
> > doing something naughty when you spun?
>
> In most of these "open track" events, doing anything like spinning or
> going off the track is considered naughty. They don't want anyone
> losing it and wrecking their car, much less anyone else's.

Ahhhhhhh - I am glad then that we get judged on how "elegantly" we leave
the track - and re-enter (or I would have had to return to the pits
every few laps in my first few seasons - I am much better now, thank you).

If we were doing something "silly" near other competitors when we left
the track, then we might be up for a warning or two, followed by visit
to the Stewards to show cause why we shouldn't be kicked out of the comp
until we can prove we can handle a car properly in traffic.  Likewise if
we re-enter the track dangerously (at speed, dragging lots of garbage
onto the track, or diving back into the middle of traffic).

Now, if we are doing something silly (or extremely adventurous - if they
aren't one in the same) in either of the above cases and actually hit
another vehicle... then there is a good chance we will sit out the rest
of the season on the sidelines.  "Racing Incidents" happen - and we are
all prepared for that, but not being "big budget" outfits and a little
precious about our cars, mostly everyone behaves OK and the most damage
that has happened since I have been going there has been car versus wall
(some car v car scrapes, but generally only paint).  What you do to your
own car is your own responsibility.

Oh yeah - had a lovely EVO 6 Lancer into the wall there last time... ugh
to an estimated $20,000 damage as he tank-slapped and ended up going
straight into a wall on the start/finish line.  Pretty serious damage
for us guys, and as always, just a reminder that the big sign at the
gate (and the line on the disclaimer/entry form we sign) is serious...

Motorsport is Dangerous  (but have fun :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII