Fuel Octane

To: "MGLIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Octane
From: "jdunphy" <jdunphy@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:34:45 -0400
Max Heim SEZ -
> Remember, that 98 octane figure is probably not using the R+M/2 method the
> US uses -- it's probably using the international method, and translates to
> about 90-92 US. I don't know what timing you're using, but my HC B needs
> premium to avoid knock and dieseling at the factory timing spec.

David Breneman Replied
>Good point about the octane.  Even when I got the MGB (1977) the
>only place you could by 98 R+M/2 octane gas was at an airport

Here in Ohio (Columbus) and I am sure elswhere you can get 104 and 114
Octane gas at quite a few different places.  Trouble of course is its $3.50
and more a Gallon. But a couple of Gallons would go aways to raising your
octane to desired levels.  Fortunately My little MG goes nicely enough on
regular 93 Octane .

Im not sure but up to a couple of years ago you could also buy leaded racing
fuel as well .  They used to put a padlock on the pump, probably to prevent
some joe schmo from ruining his Cat . Man I love the smell of leaded fuel ,
even though its not like the real stuff of years gone by.

Cheers
Justin
70 Midget with Honda seats
96 Integra GSR with Honda Seats