Re: shock link removal

To: "Marc" <smarc@abs.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shock link removal
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:25:49 -0600
At 12:31 PM 4/23/2003 -0400, Marc wrote:
>I need to remove a worn shock link, but the stud just spins in the rubber
>bush inside the ball. It's pretty wasted. Any easy way to remove this? I'm
>thinking that I'll use a Sawzall to cut through the bolt & put a wrench on
>the nut to keep the stud from spinning while sawing... Any easier way?

In one case, I was able to cut through the nut, which was a pain. But since
then, I have removed three or four by using a smaller pair of vise grips to
clamp on the bolt just as it comes out of the ball. That holds it in place
so the nut can be unscrewed after it has been soaked with a penetrant a day
or two beforehand.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B