Backfire update... and pushrod surprise

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Backfire update... and pushrod surprise
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:29:44 EDT
I posted a few weeks back that my MGB had a sudden and terrible backfire.  A
leak down proved that one cylinder had no compression at all and it was
blowing out the valve.  Oh, damn, head is coming off right?

Well the mechanic takes the valve cover off and we find that the pushrod is
wedged up with the rocker arm!  Take the rocker arm off, the rod is plain
straight... drop it back down... put the rocker back on...  the MGB is good
to go!

My mechanic says he's never seen this happen, ever, in any car...  'cept he
must not be too used to MGs huh?

  John