Re: Late Fans (was Miata seats)

To: "MG-BBS" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: Late Fans (was Miata seats)
From: "Mike Janacek" <mjanacek@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:57:55 -0400
Monte,
A "puller" is a fan which is mounted between the radiator and engine,
pulling air through the rad when operating, rather than "pushing" from the
front of the rad as you and I now have.
We covered the blade direction some time ago via this list and I defer to
Blakes explaination on that (copied below).

Mike
'79B

Monte:

You and zillions of others have surcummed to the fan backwards, blows
air backwards old wives tale.

Placing the fan on backwards REDUCES some the effectiveness of the fan
but the fan still pulls air through the radiator.  Most fan blades are
shaped like an airfoil and thus deliver less thrust when flipped over.
This will only effect the cooling at low vehicle speeds where the fan is
necessary.  At vehicle speeds over 40 mph, the fan has no effect on the
cooling.

If the fan was running backwards, the direction of rotation must be
changed.  If a motor is DC, then sometimes just switching the power
leads will reverse the direction of rotation.

Blake