Re: head torque - wrench types

To: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: head torque - wrench types
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:21:05 -0500
"ptegler@cablespeed" wrote:

> just replaced the head gasket in Big Red.
> (tappet chest area oil leak... so I pulled the head
> to seal it up properly.)
>
> Torqueing the head I was using my old fashioned
> 'flex-pointer' style torque wrench.  My 'clicker'
> socket wrench looking torque wrench I just don't
> trust it's settings anymore.
>
> Has anyone ever found the flex pointer style torque
> wrenches to 'change' with age?

Sometimes they can get deflected by having something pushing against them
in the toolbox, but if the initial setting is zero, they read right. The
damned "clickers" do have a tendency to lie sometimes, to disastrous
results.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm