the most esoteric question

To: "MG Board" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: the most esoteric question
From: "Gregg Baker" <gbaker@customcpu.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:30:39 -0800
I'm in the process of gathering up parts to finish my rebuild on the 1969 MGB
(5 main) and have run onto a problem that even Moss tech can't answer.  I am
having to put in a rebuilt crank and trying to decide which spigot bushing to
order.  It seems Moss lists two bushings for a 5 main engine, one is 330-420
which is 1.5" long and another 330-415 which is 1" long.  The bushing is not
in the crank I got to rebuild but the hole measures 1.89" deep versus the hole
in my original cracked crank which is 1.76".
Which one should I get and can anyone imagine why there are two different
lengths?  Moss Tech said he didn't know but he would get the longer one even
though the shorter one, 1", is the one ordered most.
This may be the most esoteric question I come up with so far but there's got
to be a reason they list two.
Thanks,
Gregg Baker