Re: Wheel lug bolts

To: Edwin Vaughan <edvaughan@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel lug bolts
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 00:42:16 -0500
At 06:44 PM 5/17/03 -0500, Edwin Vaughan wrote:
>I recently acquired some alloy wheels pretty cheap. ......but..the wheels
>are thicker than a Rostyle wheel where the lug bolt pass through them. Can
>I replace all the lug bolts with longer ones? Do I want to?

Yes, and yes.  I did this with my MGA several years ago when I installed
aluminum wheels which were 3/4 inch thick in the center hub area.

Tap out one of your original hub studs and take it to a local auto parts
store as a sample.  They are 7/16" fine thread.  Parts counter folk can
look them up in a book (if they want to take the time).  The most important
feature is the diameter of the fine press fit spline under the head of the
stud.  For the MGA this is .468" diameter over the top of the spline, but I
do not know if this will be the same for your MGB.  The MGA studs have a
countersunk head.  The replacement studs I bought at NAPA do not have the
countersunk feature, are flat on top and bottom of the head, but they work
just fine regardless.

To install the new studs use a flat face nut (or standard lug nut on
backward) and a stack of flat washers (or a larger nut) for a spacer, and
torque the nut to pull the new stud into place until the head is properly
seated against the back side of the hub flange.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com