MGB Hand Brake Questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Hand Brake Questions
From: Betti Ann & Preston Smith <prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:29:19 -0300
Jumped into the 80 MGB this morning and started it like always.  Prrrrr!!!!

Shoved it into reverse and clunk!  Could move forward but not in
reverse.  Hmmmm!!!  Sounds like a rear wheel problem.  Check the rear
wheels and the parking brake cable was broken on the driver's side.  So I
assumed that without some minor tension on the cable, the parking brake
levers in the backing plates sort of come 'loose' and cause the brake shoes
to 'lock up' when moving in reverse.  Is this a valid assumption????

In any case I ordered a cable from Chris H. in Montreal and if things go
well it should be here Friday (install on Saturday and ready for the
Annapolis Valley ConRUNdum on Sunday).  Also had to order some new brake
drum screws because I used a Phillips #3 instead of a PosiDrive #3 when
removing them and mangled the heads a bit.  Arrggh!! Is it fair to assume
that all Phillips like screws on an 80 MGB are in fact PosiDrives?

I decided to remove the old cable in preparation for installing the new
one.  Almost  a piece of cake to do so.  Had to remove the battery to
remove the cable clip mounted on the bottom of the battery box (mounting
bolt is a posidrive brake drum screw with a nylock nut).  The cable runs
along the drive shaft in the shaft tunnel.  At the front of the tunnel the
outer cable sheath enters some sort of abutment devise to hold it in place
and the inner cable continues to the attachment on the brake lever.  My
question is - how do I remove the cable sheath from the abutment device?
Does the sheath screw into the abutter, is it bolted in place, or is it
just a friction fit?  If it is the latter, do i just yank the sheath out?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Preston

---
Betti Ann & Preston Smith, Head of St Margaret's Bay, NS,
prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca
1962 MGA 1600 MK II, 1980 MGB Limited Edition
2002 Damon Challenger 335 Motor Home on 2001 Ford V-10 20,500 lb chassis