Re: cigarette lighter in positive ground

To: mmorris@nemr.net
Subject: Re: cigarette lighter in positive ground
From: "Philip E.E Bacon" <pboldtrix@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:15:30 -0400
I'm in the midst of doing the same thing to my 67 BGT, only difference is
that my car has been converted to negative ground.   Suspect the
appliance (the charger) was designed to operate on negative ground
systems?  If the lighter works (it's only a resistive wiring system
designed to heat up--not complicated) then probably the problem is
incompatibilitiy with the unit plugged in.  This will be a problem with
any device plugged in....tire inflator, etc.  I'm not too electrically
savvy, but this is how my thinking goes..  Phil Bacon, GCBSCC, South Fla.

On Fri, 30 May 2003 21:09:24 -0500 "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
writes:
> Tonight I installed a cig lighter receptacle in the 67 so I can
> charge up
> the cell phone on trips. Afer it was all wired in to the purple
> circuit and
> fused, I plugged the charger into it and it blew the 2A fuse that is
> inside
> the charger body. The ground wire on the receptacle's body was
> grounded to
> the car body and the hot wire was spliced into a purple one. What am
> missing here? I'd imagine it would have to do with the positive
> ground
> system?
> Thanks,
> Monte