Voltage Regulator

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Voltage Regulator
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 20:40:57 -0400
Lately I have been noticing some odd behaviors with my gauges, especially
the fuel, and spotted something today that I think sums it up.  When I got
home from work today I flipped the lights off before turning the car off,
when I flipped the light switch off the fuel gauge jumped up about 1/8th of
a tank to what I would say is the accurate reading.  I was beginning to have
my suspicions that something was trying to die and this made me think it was
the voltage stabilizer.  I don't think I have a problem in the charging
circuit because my voltmeter (in car) shows 14V at everything but idle and
is a GM model about 2 years old.

Could changes in gauge readings during different loads be a failure mode of
the voltage stabilizer?  I'm now driving 100+ miles a day to work and back
and I can't let things like this linger until they decide to die in a
construction zone or something.

Thanks for the help.
James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer