Re: Dipstick Stop

To: "engl" <engl@cableregina.com>, "MG_List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dipstick Stop
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:24:52 -0500
At 09:48 AM 6/1/03 -0600, engl@cableregina.com wrote:
>Can anyone tell me the distance between the lower and of the dipstick and
>the stop.  Mine is missing the stop and it makes it real difficult to
>figure out the actual oil level.  Also, what does the stop look like ? ....

I don't think any MGA or MGB engine should have a dipstick stop.  It drops
down to rest on the bottom of the oil pan where there is a upward raised
flat bottom dimple in the pan that serves as the seating surface.  Marks on
the dipstick are then the actual depth of oil from the bottom of the pan.

There should be a rubber dust seal (inverted rubber cup) on the
dipstick.  Push that down to rest on top of the guide tube.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com