Re: Axle seals

To: "Jeff Sharpe" <jgsharpe@mindspring.com>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: Axle seals
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:30:07 +0100
Including a hydraulic press?  You'll need one to press the old bearings off
the shafts and the new ones on, everything else is easy.  Note the
orientation of shoes and springs before removal, but if in doubt each shoe
has an 'empty' piece at one end of the backplate.  When the car is moving
forward a point on the drum should pass over this 'empty' section before
reaching the friction material.  Undo the hub nuts with the wheels on the
ground.  Crack the taper between hub and shaft with steel wedges between the
back of the hub and the heads of the back-plate bolts if you don't have a
puller.  Then remove the backplate and loosely reattach the hub, tapping on
the back of it with a soft hammer to withdraw the shaft, bearing and bearing
cap.  The shaft has a sleeve in front of the bearing which the oil seal runs
on, if it is grooved or cracked replace it.  Behind the bearing is a spacer,
make sure it is refitted and with the concave face against the shoulder on
the shaft.