Re: Convertible top swap?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Convertible top swap?
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:44:34 -0500
>Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Convertible top swap?
>
>Does the folding convertible top from '70 and later
>cars fit on early cars and vice versa?  My 1971 looks
>like it has the receptacles for the early
>stowaway-style top frame...

etc.

Paul,

Yes they are interchangeable. The receptacles you see are also for the
tonneau / bikini cover rail.

Years ago I started with a '74 (the fabled maroon) which had a folding
zipout lid on it. Then I got a '69 (the primrose - oh, such a fate) which
had a folding NON-zipout. After a trip up to Ohio in the middle of a
ridiculous heat wave during which trip Jeanette and I had the choice of
being beaten to death by the wind or sweating do death from no airflow (we
sweated to death) I knew from then on we'd always have a car with a zipout
rear window. I HAVEN'T tried the zipout as a stowaway yet, BUT...  I have a
stowaway top or two with spare parts I could part with for the right swappo
bits. Don't have to be top bits; could be anywhere off the car if they're
the right bits. I also have a a spare tonneau rail.

BTW, my '67, as was the primrose and the maroon before it, is my daily
driver so having a folding top ready to throw up in case of rain is more
important to me than rear deck space or originality, although I did make
note of the fact that some of the '67's apparently did come with a folding
top (if not a zipout rear window) before I made the change. Not that I'm a
stickler for concourse, mind you.

The only real difference I could find is that the later top frames are a
little flatter curve across the bows than the stowaways. The '74 had a very
flat main top bow where the '69 had a more sublte curve and the '67
stowaway had a more pronounced curve than either. It doesn't seem to affect
the canvas at all as far as I know. Once I got the folding top frame to fit
I bought a canvas for it from Crown Tops in Atlanta and have been a little
less than pleased with the welds, but I like where they put their snaps.
However it was the first top installation I've done and I'm fairly certain
that had a lot to do with it's failure. YMMV. Next time I'll probably opt
for the high dollar unit.

Glenn

Glenn Schnittke
Vice-President