Animals

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Animals
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 02:56:37 -0500
This subject just came up an hour or so ago in the XJ list;

>I know this thread is, gosh, hours old, but does anyone have a clue as to
>how long car companies have been naming their products after animals?
>
>The earliest high production American model that comes to my mind is the
>Ford Falcon (but did the Chevy Impala predate it?), but I'm sure there's
>more than a few examples way earlier here in the States. The earliest
>Britcar I can think of is the Kestrel. And the rules of the game must
>include production numbers (one-offs will come under their own heading) as
>well as spelling- is a "spider" a "Spyder" or a "Spider"..? And does a
>spider qualify as an animal?
>
>Just how did a spider come up as something good to name a car after?

Those are the rules of the game. The earliest homologated car, somewhere in
the world, named for an animal without being a deliberate misspelling
(allowances for language differences).

Prizes include a free round trip airfare from Toledo to Paris (Texas), four
nights stay at the fabulous Beachside Holiday Inn in glorious Galveston,
two front-row seats at the next Broadway roadshow to play the the Strand
Theater in beautiful downtown Shreveport, LA, an appearance on radio staion
OKKK with host Arles Struvy, and an all-expense-paid trip from Boise, Idaho
to an un-named destination to be determined later.

Glenn

Glenn Schnittke
Vice-President
Tennessee Spokes Sports Car Club