Re: Animals

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Animals
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:47:46 -0700
I would say it is obvious that vehicles named after humans are not eligible
-- it makes the question completely uninteresting -- the answer would be
Benz (or Panhard, or Cugnot, or Trevithick...).

I am nominating the Panhard Dog-cart of 1892...

Actually, this "name" is another term taken directly from horse-drawn
coaches -- a "dog-cart" was a light, open carriage. So I am not seriously
presenting it as a contender.

I just looked up the Daimler-Phenix (note German spelling), and my reference
indicates it was the name of the engine which Maybach designed for Daimler.
So it was not strictly the name of the vehicle, and that entry may need to
be reconsidered (source: S.C.H. Davis, 1967).

The Marmon Wasp is legitimate, but I am afraid it is preceded by the
Bearcat, though I haven't looked it up yet.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149