MGA Head gasket

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Head gasket
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:02:29 -0500
Hello,

The MGA managed to blow a head gasket and I intend to replace it by doubling
the head gasket in an attempt to reduce the compression ratio a wee bit. The
unit is a +.060" 1600 block with flat-top pistons and a mkII head that has
been over-milled (and I mean WAY over-milled) by an unknown succession of
POs and DPOs. Yes, I know, I should just replace the head, but someone did a
beautiful port and polish job on it and at the last rebuild I invested in
stellite valves, new guides, etc., so I want to keep those benefits if I
can.

Anyhoo, has anyone had experience with adding a second head gasket? Should I
go with copper or the composition jobs? Use a sealer or paint? Add the John
Twist wire trick?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

David F. Darby