RE: Another Overdrive Question WAS:Overdrive care

Subject: RE: Another Overdrive Question WAS:Overdrive care
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 05:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
> Anyway, I was interested to read and have
> heard before that the OD works in
> 3rd and 4th. This is a little confusing to me...
> Does it mean you have like a 3 and a half gear
> and then a 5th???

I'm sure someone will calculate all the ratios out and
give you a more definitive answer, but it seems to me
that it results in something more akin to "two fourth
gears and a fifth."

In my (admittedly unscientific) seat-of-the-pants
evaluation, third gear with overdrive results in
almost identical revs per MPH as fourth gear without
overdrive.  (If the tach didn't bounce around over a
range of a couple hundred RPM I could probably pin it
down a little more accurately...)

So it seems that offering OD in third is aimed more as
a lazy person's convenience.  Like maybe when driving
calmly on a winding road where you could ordinarily be
shifting somewhat frequently between third and fourth.

But it doesn't feel like a "six speed".

Cheers,

=====
Paul Misencik