Re: MGB - 1970 Rocker Arm Cover Leakage

To: theklube@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB - 1970 Rocker Arm Cover Leakage
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:43:55 EDT
In a message dated 6/12/03 7:13:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
theklube@hotmail.com writes:

> I can deal with the business of renewing the gaskets around the cover, but
> is there some other situation that I should look into regarding this
> leakage?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Just some suggestions to try.  (Always fix the simple stuff first.)

Make sure the cover is not warped.  Put it on a formica counter or a glass
shelf and try to slip a sheet of paper underneath it where it is leaking.  Bend
it until it is flat.

Obviously, make sure all the mating surfaces are very clean before putting
the new gasket in and replacing the cover.

Use some RTV to stick the new gasket to the cover.  After it is dried, put a
thin coat of oil on the head (or the bottom of the gasket) to seal it.  You
can then remove the cover several times to adjust the valve lash, without
having
to replace the gasket.

Lastly, do not tighten the cover bolts too tight.  That will warp the cover
again, and cause leaks.

You probably knew all that, but it may be helpful to a newbie.  :-)

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)