Just what do all those vents on an SU fuel pump do?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Just what do all those vents on an SU fuel pump do?
From: Tim Holt <holtt@nacse.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:21:20 -0700
I just replaced my fuel pump last night.  Had an old "auto parts
special" type,which I replaced with the one Moss has (see
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29520).

So this pump has two vent lines going into it.  The hoses for those
vents were still present under my car (but not hooked up to anything as
the cheap pump didn't have any spots for them).  They both go into the
trunk.  A friend and I were guessing they were for air venting of some
kind, and went into the trunk so they'd not get clogged with gunk
(plugged up).

Oh yea.  It ran kind of rough for the first 1/2 hour or so after
installing the new pump, but then smoothed out.  I'm assuming you have
to drive out the air bubbles that have gotten into the lines and pump
after putting in a new one?

Tim Holt
'74 Midget