Re: How to diagnose poor running?

To: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to diagnose poor running?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:32:01 -0500
At 10:34 AM 6/24/03 -0400, Marc Siegel wrote:
>.... My '80 MGB with the dual HIF setup I installed had been running
>great. Over the last two weeks, it's gotten difficult to start when cold,
>and runs rough, spitting and backfiring until it warms up really
>throughly. Then it runs mostly ok.

Not to flog a dead horse too much, but, .... The original Z/S carb had a
hot water controled automatic choke.  Did you hook up the manual choke on
the HIF carb setup?

>Also, I'm considering the purchase of a Gunson Colortune. Are these
>useful, especially for a novice?

I treat it like a training tool.  After you have used it once or twice you
learn how to do without it, and it becomes inconvenient.  It may be fun to
play with at first, and you might learn something, but it's not required to
make the car run well.  If you're concerned with mandated emissions
testing, you would be better off with an exhaust gas sniffer.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and no air test)
http://MGAguru.com