70 MGB gummed up carburetor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 MGB gummed up carburetor
From: "John Graham" <theklube@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:48:47 -0400
In tending to a handful of engine items, I had to take off the carburetors
and knew that they could use some cleaning up, but I found that apparently I
left the B sit still for so long that the jet is stuck in the bottom of the
carburetor.  I have HS-4s and earlier in my B's life, when you pulled out
the choke, this would cause the jets on the bottom of the carbs to be pulled
downward a quarter inch or so, thereby enriching the mixture.  Well they
won't budge now.

I've partly disassembled the beast to get to a point that I have something
small enough to soak in a solvent, (which I don't have right now).  I think
that I'm on the right track.  Any suggestions or recommendations for
favorite solvent?  I have a few drabs of laquer thinner and a little enamel
reducer, but not enough of either to leave in in a soak mode over night.
The bottom of the jet assembly is made of black plastic, so I don't want to
dissolve the thing.  I suppose even a soak in gasoline might be worth a try

I have the Haynes manual on SU's but the diagrams on the HS-4s are a little
sparse.

Ideas folks??

John Graham
70 MGB , the green one