Re: Update (Was: RE: How to diagnose poor running?)

To: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Update (Was: RE: How to diagnose poor running?)
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:13:57 +0100
If you have manifold vacuum (instead of carb) then pulling off the pipe
changes both the mixture and the timing.  Block off the pipe to the manifold
and that restores the mixture to what it was, so you can just see the effect
of the timing.  In theory, if everything else is correct, pulling off the
vacuum pipe *should* cause the engine to stall or nearly so, as not only
will the mixture be weakened but the timing will be significantly retarded,
and either should cause a reduction in revs.

Pinking can be caused by low grade fuel, glowing carbon deposits in the
cylinders (which also causes running-on) as well as overadvanced timing
under load.  Overadvanced timing can be caused by faulty weights and springs
(centrifugal advance) in the distributor.  With the cap off you should be
able to turn the rotor arm anti-clockwise against spring pressure. When you
let it go gently it should return all the way.  Ideally there should be no
slop or free play at all, but a little is inevitable on an old unit.
Retarded timing can worsen running-on as the engine runs hotter, giving more
chance for glowing carbon etc.  Get the timing right for running first of
all, then tackle the running-on if it is still an issue.