Re: backfiring

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: backfiring
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:18:53 -0700
20 degrees advance? Check your service manual... that's a lot. 25 is way too
much.

You are aware that you are supposed to disconnect the vacuum advance line
and block it off when checking timing?

Also, there is no need to mess with the carbs due to timing adjustments --
they are completely independent systems.

It sounds to me that (1) you are measuring timing incorrectly, for whatever
reason (and several possibilities spring to mind); and (2) your drivability
problems are due to the carburetor adjustments (although, since you violated
the rule of experimentation and did two things at the same time, it is
difficult to determine -- it might well mean retarded timing).

Ways in which you may have misinterpreted the timing :

1. checking it with the vacuum advance operative (thus advancing it,
relative to engine RPM)

2. checking at too high an idle speed (so that mechanical advance is taking
effect, also resulting in a high reading)

3. misinterpreting the timing marks as meaning 10 degree intervals instead
of 5 degrees, or whatever (different models have different marks)

4. TDC is incorrectly marked on the balancer (due to incorrect balancer
being used by DPO, or slippage of outer ring due to delamination of rubber
isolator)

First I would attempt to determine why the timing was not in the 5-15 degree
advanced range, which would be more reasonable. Resolving that, if matters
had not improved, I would start over on the carbs, assuming I had made a
mistake somewhere.

Hope this helps.

--

Max Heim